Physical Menopause Symptoms

Physical menopause symptoms can include:


Where women may find it hard to go to sleep, wake up several times during the night, lie awake at night or wake up early and can’t go back to sleep.


In the abdominal area this occurs and is a tight feeling and making you feel full and very uncomfortable. Gas or water fluid can increase in the intestines.

Weight Gain

Weight is gained around the waist area and breasts.

Brittle nails

The finger nails will appear extremely dry, will be soft, flaky and break very easily.

Dry skin

Where your skin will get thinner and your face will feel very taught, flaky and show dry patches.
Your face going red and having burning skin.


A persistent feeling of weakness, tiredness and low energy levels.

Hair loss

This could be a sudden or gradual loss of hair in various parts of the body. Hair could become brittle or dry. you will notice when hair loss may happen is when you are brushing or having a shower.


The ability of controlling the bladder. There are different forms of incontinence:

  1. Stress incontinence sneezing, coughing or laughing
  2. Urge incontinence the bladder has a mind of its own where it will say the bladder is full and wants to empty no matter how much you resist
  3. Overflow incontinence where the bladder is full and the person does not realise

Heart Palpitations

Where there is a rapid heartbeat.


You are more susceptible to reacting to products environment.


Old bones should be replaced with new bone cells but due to the aging process this is difficult and the weakening of the bone and reduction in bone mass and density occurs.

Body Odour

Body odour can change when you have hot flushes and night sweats.


Feeling of unsteadiness when you get up all of a sudden or are walking. this will make you feel light head

For a full list of symptoms please refer to our symptoms page. To keep track of your symptoms you can download our free M for Menopause symptom tracker here, which can be useful to take with when you go to visit your GP or gynaecologist.